Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Anyone want to hibernate?



This week and next the kids and I are learning about hibernation. I say "and I" because I had no idea the kinds of animals that hibernate during the winter. I've tried to make the two weeks fun as well as educational. So, a few days ago we were learning about woodchucks and what they do to prepare for winter. In order to get the kids excited about learning, we created our own "burrow"like the woodchucks do, complete with tunnels, blankets and pillows(there was no way I was letting them bring in grass and sticks). They had so much fun. They ate their snack in their burrow, read books and played the rest of the day there. It took up a lot of room, so I had to take it down that night. But, it was a fun science lesson!

4 comments:

  1. this is awesome, how fun and educational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is my kind of education. Hands on, I bet they really had fun and never even realize they are learning too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a whole unit on animal adaptations (hibernation, migration, camouflage, growing thicker fur, etc.) if you want any activities. They're from second grade but I'm sure some stuff could be useful :)

    ReplyDelete